Serves – 4 good servings
Prep time – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 1 hour 40 minutes approx.
2 diced onions
2 cloves garlic
150g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1 diced red pepper
900g minced chuck steak
1 diced tomato
150g corn (tinned)
150g fresh breadcrumbs (not panko)
30ml truffle paste
10g smoked sea salt
5g white pepper
10g chopped parsley
450g streaky smoked bacon
Mash – 1KG mashed potato
- Gently fry 2 diced onions, 2 cloves garlic, 150g sliced chestnut mushroom, 1 diced red pepper for 10 minutes, then leave to cool.
- Add 2 eggs, 800g minced chuck steak, 1 diced tomato, 1 small tin of sweetcorn, drained, 150g fresh breadcrumbs, 50ml soy sauce, 30ml truffle paste, 2 tsp smoked sea salt, 1 tsp ground white pepper and small handful of chopped parsley. Mix, but don’t overwork the meat.
- Line a loaf tin with 800g streaky bacon, draping over the edges. You might need to stretch the bacon rashes to make them longer.
- Pack in the meat, put bacon that’s draping over the edges across top.
- Bake at 180c for about 1-1.5 hours.
- Rest for 10 minutes, turn out and slice.
- For the mash – beat 1kg mashed potato, 250ml buttermilk and 50ml melted butter together.
- Serve with gravy and greens.