450g lean beef mince
1 finely chopped onion
1 finely chopped red pepper and the same with a green one
150g sliced button mushrooms
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
200g tomato puree
Salt and pepper to season
1 tsp each of dried thyme, parsley, oregano
2 bay leaves
300g cottage cheese
150g grated mature cheddar
300g pasta sheets, dried or fresh (my mum says no pre-cooking required dried is her choice)
Oil for frying
- Brown the mince in the oil, then set aside.
- Now gently fry the onion, peppers and mushrooms until soft.
- Pop the mince back in together with the tomato puree and bay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes and herbs, bring to the boil, then simmer for at least 30 minutes and season well.
- Grease a 10” x 8” baking dish and line the bottom with pasta.
- Fish out the bay leaves and spoon about 1/3 of the mix on to the pasta, then put 'blobs' of cottage cheese (again about 1/3) on top of the mince. Carry on for 2 more layers, finishing with meat, cottage cheese and then cheddar.
- Bake at 180C for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- At my mum's we have this with salad and sometimes garlic bread.