Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Pastry – 225g flour
little milk to bind
filling – 4 sticks rhubarb, cut into 75mm pieces
Tsp grd star anise
Zest 1 orange
1 cinnamon stick
300ml cream (double)
2 eggs and 3 yolks
2 tbs cornflour (sifted)
- For the pastry – pulse together 225g flour, 100g butter, 25g sugar, 1 egg and a little milk to bind in blender, then roll out, line a 20cm tin, chill for 20 minutes. Bake blind at 200c for 15-20 minutes. Then brush with egg wash and cook for extra 5 minutes. Cool
- Toss 4 sticks rhubarb, cut into 75mm pieces with 100g sugar, 1tsp ground star anise, the zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 cinnamon stick. Roast on a tray at 200c for about 10 minutes. Spoon half of it (no juice) into the bottom of the case.
- Whisk 2 eggs and 3 yolks, 100g sugar, 1tsp vanilla and 2tbs cornflour.
- Bring 300ml milk and 300ml double cream to scalding point. Pour slowly over the egg mix, whisking all the time.
- Put back in the pan and stir constantly for about 5 minutes on low heat until nice and thick.
- Pass through a sieve onto the rhubarb. Then sit the rest of the rhubarb on top
- Bake at 160c for 30 minutes until set. Cool completely.
- Serve with caramel ice cream or pouring cream.