Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 hours
Small pineapple peeled and cut into 25mm cubes
2 sliced onions
Bottle IPA beer
100ml pineapple juice
75ml cider vinegar
4 cloves sliced garlic
2 red chillies, chopped
50mm piece ginger, grated
1 x 2-2.5kg pork shoulder, de boned and butterflied. Trim back most, but not all, of the fat
Rub – 200g brown sugar
Tbs smoked paprika
Tsp five spice
Slaw – head Chinese leaves, shredded fine
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, deseeded and cut into thin half moons
Dressing – 150g mayo
25g salad cream
40g Frenchies yellow mustard
- Put 1 small pineapple peeled and cut into 25mm cubes, 2 sliced onions, a bottle of IPA beer, 100ml pineapple juice, 75ml cider vinegar, 4 cloves sliced garlic, 2 chopped red chillies and 50mm piece ginger, grated in a large roasting tin.
- Sit on top 1 x 2-2.5kg pork shoulder, de boned and butterflied. Trim back most, but not all, of the fat. Season well.
- Rub 150g honey all over the pork.
- Mix together 200g brown sugar, 15g salt 1tbs smoked paprika, 1tsp five spice, 1tsp thyme, 1tsp cayenne and 1tsp cumin.
- Now rub this mix well into the pork.
- Cover with parchment and foil and roast at 180c for 4 hours.
- Take off the foil and roast for an hour more.
- Shred the meat into the onion mix.
- For the slaw – mix together 150g mayo, 25g salad cream and 40g Frenchies yellow mustard, then mix this into 1 head of Chinese leaves, shredded fine, 1 red onion, thinly sliced and 1 cucumber, deseeded and cut into thin half moons.
- To serve, put shredded pork in brioche buns, top with the slaw and some pickled gherkins.