Prep Time: 15 mins
Marinade - overnight
Cooking Time: 2 hours
600g pork shoulder, cut into 50-75mm pieces (DON”T have the pieces too small)
veg oil for frying
1 sliced onion
Tbs black peppercorns
1 green chilli
Tbs brown sugar
Tbs tamarind paste
Paste – 5 dried long red chillies
8 cloves garlic
30mm piece ginger
Tsp cumin seeds
80ml malt vinegar
450ml chicken or veg stock
Cooling yoghurt sauce –
400g natural yoghurt
50ml white wine vinegar
Serve with plain basmati rice and naan
- Paste – soak 5 dried long red chillies in a little warm water for min 15mins
- Then blend this (inc water) with the 8 cloves garlic, 30mm piece ginger, Tsp cumin seeds, 80ml malt vinegar and a little salt til smooth.
- Put 600g pork shoulder, cut into 50-75mm pieces (DON”T have the pieces too small) in this and leave overnight ideally or at least for 4hours
- Seal the pork on all sides in a little veg oil, remove
- Fry the Tbs black peppercorns, Cinnamon stick and 1 sliced green chilli for 3mins.
- Add the 1 sliced onion and cook on low for a full 12-15mins
- Add the pork.
- Add Tbs brown sugar and Tbs tamarind paste and 450ml chicken or veg stock
- Bring to the boil. Simmer for at least 2hours
- Cooling Yoghurt sauce – blend a Bunch coriander and a Bunch mint with 50ml white wine vinegar.
- Add the 400g natural yoghurt, blend.
- Serve the curry with the yoghurt and plain basmati rice and naan