Serves: 5-6 portions
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
300ml x virgin olive oil
1kg plum tomatoes
5 cloves crushed garlic
3 red peppers
3 yellow peppers
1 small red chilli
60ml red wine vinegar
12 large green olives –
Half bunch basil
275g fresh white crab meat, picked
- Skin 500g of plum tomatoes, by putting a cross on the bottom, plunging in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then into iced water. The skins will peel off easily. Cut them into quarters, scrape out the seeds. Blend this with another 500g plum tomatoes, then pass it through a sieve so you only the juice.
- Skin 3 yellow and 3 red peppers by either grilling them, or roasting them until black. Put them in a plastic bag until cool, this will make the skins fall off. When you’ve done this, deseed them and cut into about 8 pieces, put in the same bowl as the tomato quarters.
- Also in this bowl put 1 small red chilli, chopped, 100g capers and 12 large olives.
- Tear a loaf of ciabatta bread into big chunks and put in a separate bowl.
- Add 60ml red wine vinegar, 5 cloves crushed garlic, some salt & pepper and about 300ml extra virgin olive oil to the tomato juice and whisk well, then pour over the bread and let it lie for about 10 minutes.
- Finally gently combine all the peppers etc. with the bread and the dressing and half a bun of torn basil leaves and 275g fresh picked white crab meat.