Serves: Makes 4 big individual portions
Prep time: 20 minutes
Chilling time: at least 30 minutes
(Makes 4 big portions)
250g whipped cream
50g sifted icing sugar
50ml strong espresso coffee
Zest 1 lime and juice of half
100g dark choc
250ml strong espresso
25g icing sugar
75ml coffee liqueur
Approx 75-100g choc to grate
Approx. 7-8 sponge fingers per portion
- For the custard – in a bowl add 500g mascarpone, 50g sifted icing sugar, 1tsp vanilla, 50ml amaretto, 50ml strong espresso coffee, the zest of 1 lime and juice of half the lime. Beat for 3-4 minutes until smooth.
- Fold in 250g whipped cream.
- Melt 100g dark chocolate, 25g butter and 50ml cream over barely simmering water in a bowl. Mix well – then divide this between your 4 bowls and spread across the base.
- Next - combine 250ml strong espresso, 25g icing sugar and 75ml coffee liqueur. Mix well.
- Dip in approximately 7-8 sponge fingers per portion (broken in half) a few at a time. You want them in there, so they’re softened but not soggy.
- I found 3 full fingers worked on top of the chocolate. Repeat for all 4.
- Spoon on 75g of custard on top
- Grate some chocolate on top to cover.
- Repeat the sponge finger process. (I used 4 on my second layer, but it depends on your bowls)
- Now add 125g custard and grate with lots of chocolate.
- Chill, if you can wait, if not scoff!