Prep Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 2 hours
225g self-raising flour
Half tsp baking powder
150g shredded beef or veg suet
175g raspberry jam
Sauce – 300ml cream
125g dark choc
75g Nutella or similar
Tsp vanilla paste or extract
Serve with ice cream and raspberries
- Sift the self-raising flour, cocoa, baking powder, and sugar into a bowl. Then add shredded beef or veg suet and milk, and mix well.
- Roll into a ball, cover and chill 30mins.
- Roll out to a 20 x 30cm rectangle.
- Spread jam all over (leaving 2cm border).
- Roll up on the shorter side, so it should be 20cm long.
- Wrap loosely in parchment then double layer of foil.
- Tie the ends with twine.
- With a roasting tin larger than 20cm, add in a roasting rack and fill with water to just below the top of the rack.
- Add the roly poly and cover with foil.
- Steam in an oven for 2 hours at 180 C.
- For the sauce – heat together, cream, dark chocolate, Nutella and vanilla.
- Let the roly poly cool slightly then cut big slices and serve with sauce, ice cream and raspberries.