Prep Time: 30mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
3 aubergines, cut into 10-15mm rounds
Oil to griddle
Sauce – 1 sliced onion
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbs smoked paprika
1 Tsp chilli flakes
1 tin chopped toms
Approx. 15 halved cherry tomatoes
200ml vegetable stock
Zest 1 lemon
2 tsp each dried basil, oregano, marjoram
100ml olive oil
200g ricotta, drained
250g smoked scarmorze – grated
- Oil and season the 3 aubergines. Griddle for 3mins on each side.
- For the sauce – Gently fry 1 sliced onion and 3 cloves of garlic for 8mins until soft and starting to caramelize.
- Add 1 tbs of smoked paprika, 1 tsp of chilli flakes, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, 15 halved cherry tomatoes, 200ml of vegetable stock, the zest of 1 lemon, 2 tsp of dried basil, oregano and marjoram and 100ml of olive oil. Bring to the boil and simmer 20mins.
- Add the oil
- Put a small amount of the sauce in the bottom of a baking dish, then add the a quarter of the aubergines and a few ricotta ‘blobs’.
- Repeat this process by layering the sauce, aubergines and ricotta until all gone.
- Finish the top of the aubergine pie with 250g of smoked scarmorze, grated.
- Bake at 200c for approx. 15min to melt the cheese.
- Serve with garlic bread.